Oops! The page didn’t load right. Please refresh and try again.

Get your first book for just $5 when you sign up today with code NICE2MEETU.

Join today!
Dark Matter
Dark MatterJessica (1)
Who Would You Cast?

Who would you cast as Jason, Daniella, Charlie, and Amanda? I imagine Jason as Bradley Cooper for some reason, and Amanda played by Emma Stone. Still pondering the others.

mcchelsea (4)
Bradley Cooper is definitely a perfect Jason. I would cast Gina Rodriguez (Jane the Virgin) as Daniela, she fits the description perfectly!!
Becca (1)
I pictured Daniella as Salma Hayek the entire novel. Pictured Amanda as Nicole Kidman. Jason as Paul Rudd.
HaileySpencer (1)
Daniella = Gal Gadot Charlie = Isaac Hempstead Wright Jason = Zachary Levi
Stephanie (1)
I feel like I could see Daniella being played by Jennifer Aniston, Jason would be tricky but I was thinking Bradly Cooper as well and I think Amy Adams would be perfect for Amanda.
RavenHaagenson (2)
I could see Bradley Cooper or Ben Affleck as Jason! When reading it I envisioned Penelope Cruz as Daniella and Amy Adams as Amanda. But I do love Jennifer Lawrence and think she would be a great choice as well. Charlie would be a tough one, maybe Hayden Byerly from The Fosters?
BexTerefe (6)
Jason was 100% Bradley Cooper for me! I subconsciously subbed in Ben Afleck occasionally, to be honest. Daniella was absolutely Selma Hayek. I like Emma Stone for Amanda! I would also take Jennifer Lawrence because J Law and Bradley are meant to be on the silver screen together.
VaniaDelac (3)
I love me some Bradley Cooper, but would love to see Chris Pratt play Jason. Def agree with Emma stone being Amanda. Daniella I see more of new actress?
Dark MatterSaraWolf (1)
Simple writing

I enjoyed this book. It was fast paced and entertaining. I think the story line was very simple. The story was wrapped up too easily without much conflict. I wish he developed the story better. Maybe discussed Amanda's role more and the roles she chose to go into. I don't like books where the author uses the most obvious outcome and uses the simpliest ways to finding the outcome.

JillLucey (2)
This was, quite literally, an episode of Rick and Morty from season two.
lindsayknight (3)
I agree! I wish Amanda's role would have been resolved. I felt when she was introduced that she and Jason may have hooked up in their world but it wasn't addressed. The way she was like "You really don't know me/remember me?" line is when I thought that. She could have shown up in another world (especially if that many Jason's showed up all over) but I guess since he was trying to get back to his old world and she was trying to make a completely new one that makes sense.
Kagsw (15)
I agree! I just knew they had married or something in one of his worlds. I kept wondering where she was each time they got out of the box. What would have been her perfect life? Was Jason2 her perfect match or did something happen in her world that caused him to leave and look for that perfect family?
Carlie (1)
Yes! I felt exactly the same about Amanda. Weren't there also other versions of her running around? Her character just disappeared without much closure and I thought that was a bit frustrating. But I wanted to know more about her relationship with Jason2 as well!
Haleyd24 (1)
I liked the book a lot but thought the ending was too simple and predictable. I was waiting for another twist where we find out jason9 is actually not the real Jason or the person we've been following through out the book has switched or something. It was cool to try to wrap my head around the fact that all these people were the same. I just think a different, more complex ending would have left me thinking more. Also wish Daniella and Amanda's characters were more developed and grew more. Overall liked it a lot though.
Dark Matterjekyllhj7 (34)
Sci-fi but not TOO sci-fi

I loved this book. Powered through in about two days. I loved that it was so fast paced and didn't really get too much into the science of it. I liked the carp and pond way of describing the multiverse.
I am usually not a huge fan of sci fi because too often the science overwhelms the fiction and it gets confusing.
This was just enough to make it interesting, but there was also enough real world to make it accessable to non-science people like me.

(4)
Yes!! I felt the same way. I was not sure if I would like it because I am not a huge sci-fi fan, but I LOVED it!
Kristina (2)
I loved it as well and read it in a very short time period ( a day, I think). The multiple Jason's kind of threw me for a loop and that was the bit I didn't quite think plausible or interesting, When you think of it, there will be an infinity of Jason's floating in space forever now, and I don't know how I feel about that, when does it stop. I loved how the story made me think and ponder half way through about life and parallel universe and lives we could be having where anything that can possibly happen happens in some other parallel world...it gets your head spinning for sure. I wish there was something more to the plot. Also, I would have liked to see where they ended up.
KristinMM (15)
Agreed. There was enough of a story to hold up to the sci-fi. At the root of it was a love story which always helps.
VaniaDelac (3)
Agree with you. this book had just enough sci-fi to understand the story and science behind it. great read.
VaniaDelac (3)
Agree with you. this book had just enough sci-fi to understand the story and science behind it. great read.
Dark MatterGeetika (1)
Reminded me of Sliders TV Show!

In early teens, I thoroughly enjoyed TV series Sliders. It was one of my favorites. As a grown up now I felt this book was a mediocre piece on time travel. I expected a lot more from this book. Storyline could have been better through better reasoning/analogies & characters more seasoned. The book was definitely fast paced which is okay since it reflects author's distinct writing style. Overall not very impressed.

JessicaTunnis (1)
I loved that show...
Dark MatterAlyssa (1)
Mind = Blown!

After reading the excerpt/summary/teaser for this book, I knew I was...interested...but hesitant. I'm always hesitant regarding new, modernistic, sci-fi as it has a different flavor than the sci-fi I know and love. But whoa...this book was amazing. I was hooked from moment one, even though he (Crouch) doesn't let you in on what is happening until much later in the book. It kept me on the edge of my seat, and constantly looking forward to what could possibly happen next. I love the editorial construct, and the guessing game that was this book. It was truly a fantastic read and I will be recommending it. I think I read it in two days? This was my first BOTM purchase, and if they keep up like this - I'm going to be signing up for the years subscription. Can't wait for the next book!!

Clmccor (53)
I devoured this book. I just gave it to my mom to read (she is a slow reader) and she finished it in 2 days. SO GOOD. Happy reading!
(4)
YES me too!! I felt exactly the same way. I love BOTM because it makes me choose books I would normally not choose for myself.
Lisa (10)
It was my first BOTM purchase, too. Good book to start with, right? I don't think I would have picked it out myself.
JanaDeardorff (2)
That's why I love BOTM! I wouldn't have probably picked this either but I could not put it down.
Mina (29)
Me too! If you liked this you might also like Archetype by M.D. Waters. They are both similar in that they are sci-fi-ish and a mystery!
CourtneySamples (4)
I concur! Drew me in from the first page & hard to put down. Already recommended to everyone I know. Loved the theories & science mixed w thriller/suspense. I was thinking the end would go one way & it went the opposite! GREAT read!
Dark MatterLiz (6)
Wow!

SPOILERS: I finished this book around midnight last night and my head is still reeling trying to take it all in! All of the Jasons showing up in the end really messed with my head. Daniela and Charlie accepted the fact that Jason9 was the real Jason a little too easily for my liking, but overall I was happy that they chose the "right" Jason. Although it does make you wonder, what happens to all of the other Jasons???

lindsayknight (3)
In my opinion, I think they would have accepted ANY of the Jason's. Whichever had gotten to them first (as long as he didn't end up in one of those messed up worlds that made him a lunatic....like shooting at a car with his wife and son in it). I think the two days that they spent together made the difference. Any of the Jasons that were "good" could have made it to her before Jason9 and had that time together and she would have chosen the other. Just my opinion. I loved this book so much!
Liz (6)
Oooh I never thought of it that way! That's very true. I suppose if we had "followed" any of the other Jasons the same way we followed Jason9, we'd probably understand the choice just as much. But that still leaves the question of what happens to the rest now? They just deal with it??
lindsayknight (3)
Yep! I would assume. The few that were waiting at the box accepted it....they let them walk through knowing that they couldn't keep having Daniela and Charlie living in a world where they had to run away all of the time. As far as the others, I guess they get on their email portal and find out that they've moved on to a different world. I'm sure some take their lives, and others change names. I love books that make you think this much! HA
tkyeagle (1)
This question seriously haunts me!!
Dark MatterSydney (22)
More from Blake Crouch?

Has anyone read any of Crouch's other books? I'm curious to know if they are as compelling.

jekyllhj7 (34)
I have read several of his books. I read the first of the Wayward Pines books. Great book. I read a couple of books in the Desert Places series. Started out great, but by the third or fourth book in the series it got a bit much (ie how much can happen to this one guy) But the first few are definitely worth reading.
kankrum3 (47)
I haven't but I do have his wayward pines trilogy sitting in my kindle waiting for me. may have to start reading them sooner rather then later. I love dark matter
Dark MatterBrianna (1)
Surprise!

I selected this book because it was sci-fi but I was surprised it took place in Chicago(s)! As a Chicagoan, it was extra fun to read. He included so many details about spaces here, attitudes, neighborhoods, I felt very "in the club".

I was hoping for something I could savor a little, with more science. This was definitely not a book to savor, it was basically non-stop action cover to cover.

8little_paws (83)
I didn't understand why they got so much "wrong"about Chicago though! The neighborhood Jason lived in was Roscoe Village but they called it Logan Square! And the Pulaski location shouldn't be anywhere near the lake. I couldn't understand why they threw in so many Chicago references only to get it wrong. Or is this an alternate universe Chicago?
Sydney (22)
I was also expecting a little more science detail, but I totally agree - not a book the savor. Although, this is the first time in a while that I literally could not put a book down. Time just ran away while I was reading it!
Olifant831 (17)
I totally agree with the non stop action. I felt like I never really got a break from the fast paced(ness) to really digest what I had just read!
Dark MatterRLNELSON1979 (5)
Wow. Powered through this book.

This is by far the best book I've read in 2016. Fast paced and innovative. Exciting and darkly twisted. I love books that make my mind race and keep me enthralled the whole time.

vivling (1)
This was the first fun book I've read in such a long time. I could not put it down, and when I woke up, I immediately picked the book up while still in bed. Ok, so, ultimately, I feel that more could have been done with the premise, that the female characters were not fully developed, etc. But that's ok. I enjoyed it in the same way that I enjoyed books as a teenager - it was all-consuming, and I've pushed it on my boyfriend to read next (he loves The Martian) and my mother. (She loved World War Z, so she's willing to take my advice on books she ordinarily wouldn't go for.)
Sydney (22)
Haha! My husband loved the Martian and I've pushed Dark Matter on him, as well!
JewelSchneider (3)
I could not put it down! It was a great book. Definitely one I would not have thought to look for or find so I am glad I chose it. Was a nice change of pace from the current books I have been reading. :)
Dark MatterJessica (1)
Second Book Choice?

Since "Dark Matter" is all about the choices we make, what was your second book choice if you hadn't chosen Dark Matter? I was torn between this one and "The Woman in Cabin 10". Did anyone feel like they should have gone with their second choice after reading the book? (I didn't, but I'm just curious about everyone else)

Meran (40)
I actually got them both. I read the lightest appearing topic first: Woman in Cabin 10, saving the Dark Matter book for "dessert". I regret getting Woman. (I've not written my review yet, but I gave it 2 stars) And strangely, since I read that one first, I'm finding similarities between the two! Though DM is much better written IMHO.
bkharr (10)
I purchased them both (interesting so many of us did!) Cabin 10 was disappointing. I didn't relate to the main character and I didn't really care what happened to any of the guests on the boat. Such a tired plot. Dark Matter is far more interesting; I hope the end doesn't disappoint!
Patricia (3)
I actually chose The Woman in Cabin 10, but also purchased Dark Matter on my kindle and just finished it. I loved both books!
rachelashlyn (1)
I got both Dark Matter and The Woman in Cabin 10 and thought Dark Matter was much better. Even though it's a science fiction, it somehow felt more real.
Sydney (22)
The characters in Dark Matter were quite believable even if the premise was out there, I think that's what really sold it for me!
JewelSchneider (3)
My second choice was "The Woman in Cabin 10", but I am very glad I chose this one. It was really one of the best reads I have had in a long time. Though I am buying the other book now too. :)
Olifant831 (17)
I was torn between Dark Matter and The Woman in Cabin 10 so I got them both. Interesting that a lot of us were drawn to those two. I loved Dark Matter haven't started the other yet, definitely not regretting my choice.
lclivingred (1)
I also chose "Dark Matter" and "The Woman in Cabin 10." I LOVED "Dark Matter." Fast pace and surprising turns that I was not expecting. I have not read "The Woman in Cabin 10" yet. Definitely glad I chose "Dark Matter."
kankrum3 (47)
I was also torn between this and "The Woman in Cabin 10". and after my choice was finalized i got even more nervous about it but I absolutely loved "Dark Matter" I'm hoping to read the other one sometime as well but in the end i didn't regret my decision :D.
arlenerdgz (22)
I didn't have a second choice. I saw Dark Matter was sci fi and I knew it was meant to be ;)
Meran (40)
I felt the same, but thought I'd try Cabin.. I put a "regretful purchase" tag on it in Goodreads. I really prefer fining higher points, but just could not for this one. Soooo many errors too. (I don't subtract a point when it's in speech (unless it would sound the same), nor in first person style,
melissa (3)
It was a good book to me. However, at some parts I felt it was dull. My second choice was the woman in cabin 10. I bought that too so I guess I get the best of both worlds.
nhamx2 (1)
I'm curious what others chose as well and how it compared to Dark Matter (which I loved btw. Mind. Blown.)
Kaitlin (22)
I added on All the Ugly and Wonderful Things because I knew I would regret it if I passed it by. :) I loved both almost equally (ATUAWT was just a tad better). :)
Dark MatterKatie (4)
Such a great book.

I love how this book really calls to science and psychology nerds. But mostly this book really makes you look at all the choices you have made in your life and how they made you the person you are today.

Patricia (3)
I completely agree. Particularly at the end it became clearer that the choices we make define who we are at the core.
bkharr (10)
Well said. Great book!
JewelSchneider (3)
I am with you for all of those reasons. It was definitely thought provoking. I am very happy I chose this one to read.
ageorgie86 (13)
I appreciated the book for the same reason as you. I'll admit, after reading the book, for at least a few days, I was thinking about my choices in a different way. I often think about my choices at length anyways, but I was now looking at them in terms of the long term affect it could have. I was even thinking about it from an eternal sense. It was a thought provoking book. :)
antoinette (5)
Yes, and I liked Jason's observation that certain different choices didn't yield drastically different results. I really enjoyed this book, and I am not a sci-fi reader at all.
Katie (4)
Same here I mostly enjoy true crime or mystery with the occasional vampire book. This was out of my realm but I am happy I picked this book as it excited my expectations. I though all the physics talk would go right over my head but I feel like the author did a great job on explaining most of the concepts.
Dark MatterRobyn (3)
Maybe I Missed Something....

So maybe I missed a detail because I flew through this novel so quickly; however, I'd love to pick some of your brains for your throughts....

Even when Jason was in a version of his life that wasn't bad and he and his family seemed to be happy (the version where Daniela is pregnant with their second child and he calls her on the phone), he knew it wasn't his world. Some things were "just off" (minus the obvious like the pregnancy). So I'm just wondering how so many other Jasons ended up in the main Jason's world. I could see how some of them did because they ran out of syringes or liked this version better than their own. But wouldn't some of them have these same feelings of things just not being right? That this wasn't their version?

I enjoyed the twist of more than one Jason. And I thought it was an interesting theme for Daniela and Charlie to grapple with. But how were there so many? Hundreds?

Lisa (10)
It is my understanding that they were all the Jason that originated in that world. The whole thing has to do with a new world being created every choice he made. So, for instance the world where Daniela is pregnant. One Jason decided to call her, and one didn't. With that choice, 2 Jasons were created. But the cube exists in all worlds. So, both of those Jasons traveled back to the cube to continue their search for their Daniela and their world. This happened hundreds of times.
JanaDeardorff (2)
Agreed, the only Jason who is not one of these is "Jason2" who kidnaps Jason at the beginning - the one who invented the box. But the Jasons in this world are all ones who have lived identical lives until they (he) are (is) kidnapped by "Jason2" and end up going into the box. I thought it made the ending so sad in a way because these Jasons are all Jasons who have spent their lives with Daniela, who are Charlie's father. I imagine it's like when you have something to say on the tip of your tongue, and you could just as easily say it or not say it. Saying a small comment may have triggered a thought to Amanda, who could have influenced what door they opened through that thought. The experiences there could have changed him slightly, he would make different choices, and on and on until there are many of him existing in infinite outcomes and worlds, but through the box, they can all find their way back to his Original outcome/Original world (the ending of the book). While they were in the box, Jason could have said "It's cold in here" to Amanda, who would then remember being stuck in the car in the snow, and the memory would influence what door they opened, leading them to the frozen Chicago world. He could have just as easily said "I want to go home" which reminds Amanda of getting lost and wanting to go home as a child, and they might have ended up in the Chicago of her childhood instead. This would of course create one of the alternate timelines, with one Jason saying he is cold and one Jason saying he wants to go home - now you have 2 Jasons, 2 alternatives, who both eventually find their way "home" at the end of the book.
Liz (6)
I found it really hard to wrap my brain around this. That the choices he made split into more Jasons but they were all "from the same world." Isn't that some sort of paradox? I'm curious how the remaining Jasons turned out and what they ended up doing. I can imagine so many of the same person running around was bound to cause a problem at *some* point.
Sydney (22)
This is how I understood it as well. They were indeed all the Jason "from" that world, but each split off with each decision along our Jason's way and each journeyed to and from different layers of the multiverse on his way back.
Olifant831 (17)
yeah thats my understanding as well. because thats why in the bar when he sits and chats with the other jason they try and figure out where they split off, what decision did they make differently.
jekyllhj7 (34)
In a bit less Scifi take, there's a movie called "Sliding Doors" with Gwyneth Paltrow. It is similar as in the what if thing. The movie diverges at one point - one story is she misses her train home, and the other she makes it. And it follows the two stories as to how her life turns out. Such a simple act and how much it can affect what comes after. Good movie.
Treens (3)
I thought of the same movie when I read this! I even used it as an example when trying to talk about the book. Good to know I'm not the only one who has watched this movie.
Katie (4)
So I see that the multiple Jason's didn't start until Jason 1 ended up in the Box after almost getting killed in the lab. The Jason's shared the same world and the same desire to get back. There changes cames from the branching of decisions made and their experiences in the different worlds is what made them different.
antoinette (5)
That's how I understood it, too. Every single decision, and there are so many, result in a different outcome and an alternate reality.
Dark MatterLisa (10)
Spoiler: More Syringes

I don't understand why they couldn't go back into a different world that still had the cube and syringes, but never had Jason return, and get more syringes. I assume there would have been one where Amanda worked there and was trusted... Or Jason can pretend to be returning, and then take the syringes and leave... Then they could have kept trying indefinitely.

Katie (2)
They mentioned at one point that they think Jason2 was the only one to create the box, a one in a million chance. So the likelihood of finding another world that had the drug and box is pretty much non-existent. So presumably the drug all originated from Jason2's and Amanda's world and they can't go back there.
mollydolly (13)
I think since it was hard enough to escape the lab, they didn't want to risk going back, Smart of Jason2 to take 100 of them though, haha
Olifant831 (17)
It seemed like out of fear they didn't want to try going back to anything that resembled Amandas world.
Dark MatterKaitlin (22)
What about Amanda? *SPOILER ALERT*

What did you think about Amanda's departure from the story towards the end? I was a little disappointed that the author wrote her out of the story so abruptly. I wanted to know more about her! In my mind, there wasn't a whole lot of character development in terms of the women's characters. Anyone else?

8little_paws (83)
Yup! That was my criticism of the book as well. I liked it but felt Daniela was too much "the perfect woman" and it felt flat.
Katie (2)
I think Jason made Daniela the "perfect woman" in his mind once he got separated from her. She, and Charlie, are the only things he truly wants from life and he realized she is enough and "perfect". He has accepted her flaws. But I also think we see more of her by the Daniela's in the other worlds. We see that she has a love of art in all of them and has passion. But Jason's Daniela has made the decision to have Charlie and be with him and teach art. Also since everything is from Jason's perspective I am ok with it. We get what he gives us and often he's so distracted by not getting killed that there's not a lot of room for more.
arlenerdgz (22)
I think Daniela was depicted as a "perfect woman" because that's how Jason saw her. I think he saw no flaw in her because she lost her in the first chapter of the book. But in that first chapter, he had regrets and she didn't seem that perfect. Jason mentioned she looked sad at times. He loved her, no doubt, but had issues about that "road not taken" for both of them. Anyway, I like many of you mentioned, she seemed like a flat character and thought THIS MAN's LOVE FOR HIS WIFE AFTER SO MANY YEARS OF MARRIAGE DOESNT HAPPEN haha and I was a little mad about it. But later she wasn't really flat or undeveloped character, it was just me as a reader seeing her through Jason's eyes. Too cheesy for me. But it's the whole point of his dimensional traveling, which was an amazing journey!
antoinette (5)
Agree about Daniela being one-dimensional.
Lisa (10)
I hope there is a sequel that shows up where Jason and his family end up. And also shows more of Amanda. I think she grew really close to Jason at the end and wanted him to admit he'd never find his family and start a new life with her. I want her to end up with one of the other Jasons who didn't end up with his family. I think there are probably a couple that are the same Jason she traveled with.
Sydney (22)
I WOULD LOVE MORE JASON SEQUELS -- what happened to all of the other Jasons?
antoinette (5)
How many Amandas do you think Amanda might have encountered in her travels, post-Jason? I wonder if it was possible for her to find a world in which she was not the only Amanda. Maybe, with no ties, she could just change her name and get on with living her life?
Sydney (22)
I didn't notice this initially/until it was pointed out. Even Daniela just sort of exists as a parameter by which to measure Jason's life/love/conviction. And I agree about Amanda -- I was upset that she was just .... gone.
Skeggjold (17)
I agree the female characters were very flat in general, though I did appreciate that there was more than one and they had important roles (wife, psychiatrist/savior, doctor.) I kept waiting for Jason to miss specific things about Daniela, other than an "architecturally impossible" smile and "Spanish eyes." Too much shorthand was used for that relationship to really feel significant.
copear (1)
I expected her to make some kind of deus ex machina appearance toward the climax when it seemed like the original Jason was about to die. I guess her only purpose in the story was to further Jason's character development, which was disappointing. Loved the book otherwise!
melissa (3)
Spoilers- Yes, the way he wrote his wife was SUPER flat and I wanted WAY more of Amanda. I was even sad to hear that she died in the snow storm in one of the Jason's worlds. I wished she would have stayed on or at least we would have had a page of her alone opening up a door so we would at least have a clue to where she had gone next.
antoinette (5)
Good point. But then again, I'm trying to think of characters who were more developed, and I'm only coming up with Jason. One could make a case that Ryan's character was more developed, but I didn't find his character (either the prize winner or the never-quite-made-it version) particularly nuanced...
jalfrey (2)
I completely agree. I kept hoping Amanda would appear later in the novel because she was an interesting character, and she and Jason went through a lot together. Jason's character was definitely well-developed, but, as you mentioned, the female characters could have been fleshed out more.
Dark Mattermollydolly (13)
Daniela - SPOILERS

Toward the end of the book when Jason and his family are in the cabin hiding out and other Jason's start to attack, along with a little later on in the book when they reach the warehouse to go into the box, I couldn't help but feel so much sadness and confusion for Daniela.

I understand that she wants "her Jason," but at the same time, I couldn't help thinking how brutal it would be on me mentally if I saw other 'versions' of my husband either looking heartbroken and jealous at not being chosen, or even worse, dead. She handled it like a champ, I think that would haunt me for a long time. Did anyone else feel the same way for Daniela?

Patricia (3)
I think she was probably still upset that she had been living with a stranger for a month and may have seen all the other Jasons as more of the same. Charlie also mentioned that it felt just right with the "real" one, not like it had the past month. I would feel completely bereft if I didn't know my husband of many years was switched.
literaryhoots (3)
Seriously, though, how is Daniela not in more shock. I would be! To watch your husband stab your husband quite violently over and over...and then leave with him to a totally unknown world? Crazy! But I guess love powers through?
Lisa (10)
I felt similarly. I think it would be hardest to see versions of your husband turned into a killer. I would want to travel through the worlds on my own for a little while making multiple versions of myself to be with the other versions of my husband. The Jasons could wait for her there and she could just go in and out of happy worlds until she found her way back with more Danielas to go around. That way it would be a happy ending for all. Although it would be nearly impossible to match the number exactly...
Dark MatterMarisKreizman (19)
Discuss With Us

Dark Matter explores various incidences of the multiverse. Was there a particular world that you found compelling or wished to explore further?

jalfrey (2)
I thought the futuristic world was interesting. Because Amanda was the one who conjured that world, I also hoped it was where she later found herself.
arlenerdgz (22)
I think she would be smart enough to chose that for herself. Wouldn't it be great for a spin off book just about Amanda in this futuristic world? No more box. No more Jason. Just Amanda living in this futuristic world and learning what's there, how people live. Maybe some "The Giver" issues, idk. I think I would write some fan fiction if the author doesn't do it himself.
literaryhoots (3)
This is a genius idea for another book! I really want to find out more about Amanda
Lisa (10)
That was my favorite, too! I kind of wanted them to stay there for a few chapters. I also was hoping that was where Jason and his family ended up, as well.
Olifant831 (17)
I really wish this world had be explored more too! I almost think that is where Amanda ended up in the end.
Cereline (2)
Honestly, I thought the first (I think?) post-apocalyptic world was intriguing. Not that I wanted them to stay there in the long run but I was interested in what brought the world to that point. Also, generally speaking, it seemed like Jason should have been alive in any of the worlds he ended up in (which wasn't the case) simply because these infinite permutations were branches off of HIS life. Hypothetically, if he could venture away from his own life he should have been able to end up in a world where dinosaurs still existed or something equally crazy. However, I'm off on a tangent. Simply put, I'd like to know what happened in the world that was destroyed.
mollydolly (13)
*SPOILER* I was intrigued by the nightmarish Chicago where Charlie was dead from the virus and Daniela was dying. They talked about how it was a manifestation of Jason's fear due to losing his mother to illness, and I found that to be a very interesting revelation on the subject of what multiverses are behind what doors. The idea that you had some control over what multiverse you walked into was a really cool twist.
Olifant831 (17)
That kind of blew my mind actually. Esp because in daily life I think "what if I would have done that or took that turn" so we do have control and to see that in the box was really cool of the author to put in.
Discuss With Us

Jason's fundamental philosophical question is: "If you strip away all the trappings of personality and lifestyle, what are the core components that make me me?" What, ultimately, makes Jason Jason? What makes you you?

Treens (3)
I thought a lot about this as I was reading the book and I think what made Jason who he was, in all various interpretations of himself, was his persistence. Between Jason2 and the "real" Jason, both gave everything to the pursuits that they had chosen in life. Jason2 to science and Jason to his wife and family. I think it speaks volumes that so many Jasons found their way back to their original reality. I kept thinking, would I quit? How many times would I have to be faced with utter devastation for me to feel like I would have to give up? There were obviously several Jasons who had been through nightmares but kept fighting. I think it's the one characteristic that demonstrated itself across all versions that we saw, including the hellish version of Jason that he saw in the multiverse. Ultimately, the "real" Jason was the one who was able to get through all hurdles without a change in his character. He mentions several times about being tested (wanting to kill one of the Jasons or creeping into "his" home in one of the realities) but ultimately, choosing not to betray what he knew was right. So, maybe it's how much fight we have that defines us-our drive to keep moving forward despite all odds and our commitment to doing the right thing that makes us who we are.
Lisa (10)
I think something that makes Jason Jason, is that he isn't a violent person. I didn't like the other Jasons that turned into murderers. That didn't make it believable to me. If they were completely other Jasons from Completely other worlds, it would be different. But I don't think that a few months can change a person THAT much.
Sydney (22)
Yeahhhh this was one thing I couldn't really engage with either. It was just so extreme given that they all started from the same point (being kidnapped by Jason2).
arlenerdgz (22)
I think a few months can. It made me think of all those people that have to live through war. Even a few weeks of seeing brutal exterminations at a concentration camp, for example, made people immune to emotion. How many holocaust survivors have said they "couldn't cry anymore" or even stole or killed for survival.
Sydney (22)
I mark up my books and this was one passage I underline A LOT. Definitely, the pinnacle question of the book. I think ultimately his love for his family and his life in spite of the "road not taken" defined him. It was a little too singular, but even so his thoughts and actions felt very real, not overly contrived for literary consumption.
literaryhoots (3)
It really made me realize that you (or I) are a product of our choices. Sure, there are contributions to our character that we can't control, such as nurture (decisions our parents made) or world events (decisions of political leaders or natural disasters). But a lot of what I am today is a result of choices.
Cereline (2)
I thought the fact that they always seemed to end up in a similar career area (by which I mean, careers that pull on similar skills/talents/personality traits) was interesting - although I can't say for sure that was always the case because there were many times it wasn't mentioned. But Jason stuck to the sciences, it seemed, as his brain is wired to think in a manner most aligned with scientific exploration. Dani always seemed to be creative/artistic. Teaching can arguably fall under both of those categories. What I also thought was interesting was that anyone is capable of violence. Even Jason. When pushed to a certain limit, when you've seen things, when something has happened the ability to do violence is there. It something seen in history and psychology (i.e. the Stanford Prison Experiment). It also has a lot to do with the nature v. nurture debate. - As such, I think there are genuine core components to someone's person that cannot be changed regardless of experience and I loved that this book touched on that, however deeply.
Olifant831 (17)
I think this really played with the idea of you are how you act or you are what you choose, because ultimately thats what makes up your life and what may become core values to you. If you lived by different choices you wouldn't be the same person.
Discuss With Us

Can anyone have it all—an ambitious career and a wonderful home life? Did (the “real”) Jason have to make the tradeoffs he did to live the life he ultimately ended up with? Did Daniela?

sbarney126 (2)
I think what I surprisingly found comforting about the whole book, was that you don't have to worry about the "what-ifs", the regrets. Because ultimately some version of you did and in the end, your "true" version took the course you should have. It teaches us that you can have what you want, but also warns of the extremes, so tread cautiously. Maybe the road not taken wasn't the best one after all.
Olifant831 (17)
I think he did have to make trade-offs. I think the 2, ambitious career and wonderful home life, take to much time that it is rare when someone can have both in their optimal forms.
Discuss With Us

The ending of Dark Matter begs the question, "What happens next?" What do you think is in store for the Dessen family? Did they get a happy ending?

Sydney (22)
The ending was great in a cinematic sense. HOWEVER, the likelihood that a 15 year old whose world was just turned upside down would have been able to navigate them to a safe world with the oh-so temperamental box is, like, nil. That's the only thing I really got hung up on with the end. Other than that, Daniela's point that Jason9 is the Jason that found her first, that came up with the idea to keep her safe, that at least from our biased POV was most invested in her safety and happiness, the fate of it, was really touching. Although, now you've got dozens of totally broken Jasons running around on the same plane -- they certainly didn't get THEIR happy ending.
Kaitlin (22)
I think it's the only ending they could have that didn't end up with certain death... This book really messed with my head... I don't think I can speak intelligently about it because I can't quite wrap my brain around the whole thing yet. :)
mollydolly (13)
SPOILER: I think since Jason (the "real" Jason), Daniela, and Charlie all got what they wanted in the end - each other - it's a happy ending no matter what world they ended up in. We get a hint when they talk about the smell of grass and a bright light that it is a positive place, but again, I think the actual location is besides the point and that's probably a reason it didn't need to be explained further.
Dark MatterMeredith (1)
OMG...

So, I am already halfway through this book and just got it two days ago. Is anyone else daydreaming at work about what is going to happen next? Anyone else have theories about the ending? It's all I can think about! This book is amazing. I love that I am closer to finishing, but hate that it will end! The struggle, ya'll.

kankrum3 (47)
I finished this book in one day. I couldn't put it down i had to know what happened. It was amazing! I had lots of theories well reading it. Hope you get to finish it soon :) darn work ;)
Kaitlin (22)
SAME! It came in the mail on Saturday and I had finished it by that night. Then I immediately ordered The Pines by the same author.
Dark MatterDanielle (1)
SO GOOD

Did anyone else read this book in one sitting?! I couldn't put it down, I was so intrigued!! The story definitely had my heart racing a few times. Very exciting and mind blowing-- I just couldn't stop reading!

Emilie (1)
I thought Dark Matter was good, however I don't think I loved it as much as ya'll seem to have. I did read it all in one day, but I attribute that to the fact that Dark Matter is a pretty easy read. The plot is fast moving and the descriptions are adequate but not extensive. I really like the toying with our "fear of missing out" concepts, but I feel like I was hoping for something more out of this book. I have read a good amount of "science fiction" or books that incorporate a lot of science into the fiction (MaddAdam series anyone?) so I might have set my sights really high for this book.
Skeggjold (17)
I had similar feelings. The book moved quickly because a lot of it read like a screenplay. Many pages where most lines of text don't span the page. Dark Matter reminded me of a couple different William Sleator novels: The Duplicate and Strange Attractors. Conceptually it brought A Wrinkle in Time to mind.
Robyn (3)
SO SO SO GOOD. I am not usually one for sci-fi but after recently reading The Girl With All the Gifts (and LOVING it), I decided to give this book a shot. Wow, am I glad that I did! I read this book in a day, I could not put it down. There is one aspect of the book that I do want to discuss that I feel wasn't explained very well or maybe I missed the explanation somehow...... But I will wait a few days to post, as I'm sure not everybody has finished quite yet. I love a book that makes you stop and think while you're reading it. This novel is great at making you pause and ponder quite a few times (well, for me anyway). Happy reading everyone!
Lisa (10)
I went and downloaded the sample of The Girl With All the Gifts. It is super intriguing, but seems kind of dark. I'm worried it might be too dark.
melissa (3)
It's written really well. You should definitely pick it up.
mollydolly (13)
Robyn, I'm interested to hear about what aspect you want to discuss :-) I also devoured this book - there was so much going on, lots to talk about! I'll have to look up The Girl With All The Gifts, I've never heard of it!
mollydolly (13)
I read it in a day and a half and felt the same way as you, Danielle. I was nervous, intrigued and also impressed with the way the story came together. What I love about BOTM is that Dark Matter is a book that I never would've picked out for myself (it sounded TOO sci-fi with the whole quantum psychics approach), but I ended up absolutely loving it!
kankrum3 (47)
yes! i read it in one sitting. I couldn't put it down and it kept me guessing. I loved it!
Daniel (1)
Yes! I did just finish reading it in one sitting. I personally wonder where they ended up
Julie (2)
I did! It's been a long time since I've found a book that has so entirely engulfed me. I am also finding it frustrating it now that I'm done because I want to discuss it so badly but it's near impossible to say anything about the book without spoiling it. Who else is wondering about the repercussions of the ending? I don't want to spoil it for any one, but I feel like the same twist that happened in the book could reoccur on multiple levels due to the way the story ended...
Lisa (10)
I want to discuss it, too! I could hardly sleep last night because of all the possibilities swirling through my head. I really wish there was a sequel. I want to see what happens.
j123 (1)
For anyone interested in some of the more nightmarish possibilities, I have two movie suggestions which closely resemble this book: Coherence (2013) and The One I Love (2014). Definitely worth a watch!
ghines (9)
I was! In that I figured it wasn't really THE ending--there's an infinite possibility of different endings. You just got to see the one based on who the story was being told through (intentionally trying to be vague so as not to spoil).
Julie (2)
interesting! that's a good way to think about it.
Lisa (10)
I really wanted to stop everything and just read this book all in one sitting. I ended up reading it all in two days. That's how much I liked it. So good, right?
Jessica (1)
when I first read the description I didn't think I would really care for it, but I had such a hard time putting it down! It was mind blowing and crazy to think about. I wish I could talk about it in more detail, but definitely don' want to give out any spoilers. ????
Rachael (1)
I just started this book this morning and feel the exact same way! I'm excited to keep reading and discover what all is going on (Currently Chapter 2)