Oops! The page didn’t load right. Please refresh and try again.

Get a free book when you use code SPRINGFLING.

Join today!
The Trespasser
The TrespasserShelbyHawk (6)
I liked it but...

I LOVED this boo....as I first started to read it I couldn't put it down. Then as time passed and I continued to read I began to find it more and more difficult to get through. Though I feel that if I had gotten this book in the summer when I can take hours at a time and read it might have been better. It NEVER takes me this long to finish a book....

ChristineDuane (58)
This book took me forever to read as well. In the end I liked it, but it was looong.
The TrespasserKimmigneco (1)
too long?

Did anyone else feel that this book was really hard to get through? I felt that there was SO MUCH DETAIL in the conversations and thought process that it drug the book on.. SO far, I have had two duds for my BOTM reads.. the fall guy and the trespasser. BOO to both.

Elizabeth (1)
It was absolutely too long. I started to get really bored about halfway through, and the end didn't really offer a big pay off because you could see it coming a mile away.
Vanessa (4)
I liked it but - yes! it was a bit drawn out and took awhile for it to get good. It felt like a chore to get through.
The TrespasserSamanttttttha (14)
The Trespasser- OMG

I actually really enjoyed reading the book. It is like, 429 pages or so, which can be difficult and at times, it got a little uninteresting. But I definitely like her writing style. Tana French was just descriptive enough and the way she said things reminded me a lot of myself. She was quite funny throughout the book and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. I'm glad I chose it as my BOTM.

Blueyedscientist (4)
I liked it as well, almost as much as I loved Girl on a Train. I read incredibly fast, yet this still took sometime across several evenings to complete.
The TrespasserLonghorn34 (1)
Not impressed...

From the hype, press and BOTM promo, I got the impression that this would center on race and struggles against racism/sexism. It hardly showed up in the book at all. False advertising to me...

Was anyone else annoyed with Antoinette's hypocrisy? I understand that it's her 'fatal flaw' and makes the character but she was such a bitch seeing weakness or vulnerability in anyone else. I was skipping her stream of consciousness bits by the second half.

It dragged so much, but I was annoyed enough by the characters that I forced myself to finish. I just wasn't impressed and definitely mislead about the content and themes.

BAF (1)
So, I actually have to disagree with everyone here, but that may be a result of how it related to my daily work life (though I'm not on anything as exciting as a murder squad). Working in law enforcement, I've experienced a lot of sexism, and what seems like the deadliest consequence of that sexism is how it makes you paranoid of every interaction with your coworkers. The more incidents the more you feel like you cannot trust anyone or you wonder if someone's comment was an attack. Sure, her focus on whether things were all about her seems weak-I do it and it makes me FEEL weak-but for me that was what was so uplifting about this book. Antoinette is not very like-able, but I understood her, and even though it was fictional, I felt less alone and less crazy for my own fears and paranoia as the only woman in my shop. The other thing I liked was that in a lot of ways dealing with race and gender and the discrimination that comes with it was never really an outright confrontation but this underlying current throughout Antoinette's experience in much the same way that many people, myself included, really do experience these issues daily.
JacquleneR (7)
I am so with you on this one! The way the book was presented, I expected that she was going to be the gaffer by the end of the damn thing. Nope. Just a bunch of whining and conspiracy theories. I didn't find her character likable in the slightest. I too forced myself to finish, just because I was curious if something magical happened at the end that would make the first half worthwhile. Nope.
JillianG (2)
I agree with you both! I was thinking that if anything her constant paranoia just made her seem more weak and was a bad image for women in workplaces. Yes we are discriminated against but this book undermined it a bit
AML (1)
Hey Longhorn, I felt the exact same way. As a biracial woman I was excited thinking there was a book that would talk about the difficulties of that in the work place. But I actually feel like you could have easily missed the fact that she was biracial if you didn't read the first chapter (the only chapter that talks about her race) closely. And while Antoinette brought up the fact that she was a woman every chance she got, I felt that it was a bad representation of women and the actual problems we may face. In the end, she was just paranoid and all the problems are in head. Great way to undermine it.
The TrespasserClmccor (53)
SPOILER!!!!! What did you think about the 'gaffer'?

I've read the other books in the series therefore developed positive feelings for O'Kelly from them. Then I started this book through Antoinette's eyes and I was like, 'Am I reading about the same characters?' As the book progressed I had serious doubts about O'Kelly. I was nervous he was in on it (with Breslin and McCain) and it was all one big setup. I was happy with the ending - that ending was the same O'Kelly I remembered. I'm just curious, did anyone else doubt our loyal gaffer?

P.S. Isn't it awesome saying gaffer? Sometimes I think I only like French's books because I love her Irish slang (kidding, she is a great story teller).

acorn (1)
Yeah, I was so anxious that the gaffer was going to absolutely torpedo her career there at the end. Also, having read the other books in the series, I knew Tana French doesn't exactly love a happy ending so it was a surprise how cleanly Antoinette came out of this one.
Elizabeth (5)
I agree! A little sidestep, I so desperately wanted Ryan and Maddox to work out at the end of In the Woods and was sad it didn't--but I respected her as an author to not give us the easy, happily ever after ending!
Clmccor (53)
Totally agree! I kinda sat there for a moment after finishing like, really? You are going to let her walk away from this? Ha
Elizabeth (5)
I completely agree! It was very interesting to see him through her eyes this time. I always thought positively of him as a gaffer [haha ;)] and felt he was good and fair, even if some of the other narrators didn't present him wholly positively--you could still tell. So it was kind of throwing me through a loop to be doubting him so much this time! Glad he ended as the gaffer I hoped he was. :)
SarahSmith (1)
I though the gaffer handled it masterfully. He didn't jump to conclusions, but let it play out. He put people he could trust on the case (Antoinette and Steve). In the end, he was direct and fair. He reminded McCann of (McCann's) true identity - a big D. I loved what French did with this character- I thought it was very well played.
JacquleneR (7)
I haven't read any of the other Dublin Murder Squad books, but I definitely thought he was in on it.
Jruiz029 (3)
I definitely thought he was in on it! Was shocked when he took care of everything in the end himself. And I learned the word gaffer from this book! Love learning new foreign slang :)
Blueyedscientist (4)
Me too! I thought he was in on it no would allow McCann to walk free. It definitely had a nice twist proving my theory wrong.
The TrespasserKatieVanHoof (1)
Should I stay or should I go?

Help! I'm about 200 pages into The Trespasser and to be honest, I'm having a hard time sticking with it. I really don't want to abandon it and I've read good things about the book and Tana French as an author, but I'm not really interested. Any tips to help sway my decision to stick with it...or not?

JillianG (2)
The ending was the best! It took a while to get there, but seeing everything come together was great. I agree though, it took me over a month to finish, well into my December book.
JacquleneR (7)
I did not find the book worth the month-long investment I made in reading it. (Way too long imo).
sarahmyers (1)
I felt the same at around 230 pages when all the theories went out the window but it picked back up soon after that!
Terarae07 (4)
I'm having a hard time with it too. I was into it for a bit, but now it's just dragging (I'm on page 166... it's sitting on my lap as we speak and I was curious as to what others thought of it... Seems I'm not the only one).
GertieSprindyte (1)
Not a bad book, but it definitely dragged. Took me forever to finish.
TBurr (25)
I didn't actually pick this book for this month because I had just started reading In The Woods (the first of the series)...and let me tell you, that book took me FOREVER to finish! It was quite slow in places but it was worth it in the end!! There were times where I just wanted to throw in the towel because it just seemed to drag on and on but it all made sense in the end. I've bought the second to read soon!
Clmccor (53)
I saw Tana French's name and freaked. I love her books! My mom hated the writing though and was never able to get into them. Stick with the series if you can, the ending makes every book absolutely worth it. I haven't read a book from her I hated or was disappointed in yet.
Kelly (1)
I'm so glad im not the only one who feels this way! I will keep reading as I love books with a good ending!
KatieDunn (1)
This is my first book of the month club book, and I love fiction crime books. The beginning was alright, around page 200 I really struggled to stay with it, now I'm around page 260 and really hoping something exciting happens soon...
GloryJotter (2)
I'm feeling the same. I think it's because I don't like Antoinette at all. She's smug and obnoxious, and I don't think she's nearly as good at her job as she thinks she is. Especially as they interview these suspects and she's running through the different tactics, it feels like I'm being spoken down to by someone who really doesn't know what they're doing, but want you to think they do. I also care nothing about the case. Like, at all. Am I supposed to?
AnjaniHundich (2)
Keep going! I had a very hard time at the beginning as well. Even my husband kept asking why I was taking so long to read this book when normally it only takes me about a week to finish one book. I kept saying how slow it was at the beginning and how I didn't like the main character at all. I promise if you keep going, it gets better! You won't learn to like Antoinette until the end, if you even decide you like her then...but I promise it gets better!
LacyCorrea (2)
My husband said the same thing. I usually can't put a book down but I'm barely halfway through this one and I've had it for almost 2 weeks. It's so detailed and very slow.
RissaSenderowitz (1)
I am glad I am not the only one struggling to finish/read this book. I can read about 3 pages before It becomes too much for me.
DANIELLEMD22 (5)
I just got passed the first chapter....... it took me almost a week! A part of me really wants to quit this book, it is unbearably sloooooowwwwwwwwww
The TrespasserGabyDunn (3)
Discuss With Us

Is Antoinette a flawed narrator? How much of her problems at work are in her head, and how much is the deck actually stacked against her?

JacquleneR (7)
I think Antoinette is certainly flawed, but I can't say that it's as a narrator. She just has a flawed perception of her reality. She believes that everyone is out to get her instead of just being aware that some people are dicks and some people aren't. I guess it's a necessity for a mystery novel for the main character to be somewhat of an idiot, but I found that a lot of her problems weren't even related to the story. For example, her interaction with her father was completely preposterous and unnecessary. That whole scene made me want to stop reading right there.
Sooz830 (20)
It's pretty hard to say, isn't it? She clearly experiences harassment that shouldn't have to be tolerated -- people spitting in her coffee, stealing pages from her reports. And I could see where that could make a person paranoid enough that they might then begin to see other slights that might not be there. It didn't help that she often didn't share these experiences with her partner, who would have provided a more objective assessment. I admit to being completely sick of her by the middle of the book, but then coming back around to liking her again.
SusanBandy (1)
I hesitate to call Antoinette a flawed narrator. She is clearly having a problem with harassment at work, and she is objectively an outsider in that she doesn't fit the stereotype of her profession. However, her flaws definitely stem from an inability to see multiple sides of the story. She locks onto an idea and doesn't let it go until it's completely contradicted or she finds a new shiny idea to put her energy into. This tendency made her a very frustrating character to follow. As far as her problems at work, I think it can be just as easy to assume they all stem from prejudice as it is to dismiss them as indiscriminate harassment. In reality, these sorts of situations stem from a mix of both. I don't think she's lying when she attributes some of the harassment to sexism and racism. Those sorts of things always linger in the air when you are a minority in a profession. But there are many reasons people pick on you. Sometimes, it's because they like you, and other times it's because they don't like you. And sometimes, the reason they don't like you is because they don't get along with your personality or behaviors. Antoinette is an outsider who never made an attempt at joining the group. I feel most of her fellow squad members weren't sure how to handle her. Antoinette has built a world view for herself where everyone is an enemy. She wants full disclosure of the truth, but only if it's something she can accept as the truth. She never really forgives her mom for not disclosing the true identity of her father until pressed for it. Likewise, she shuts people out if she doesn't hear what she believes to be the truth. People can pick up on that. And while some people will be patient and wade through that river, most have learned from Oregon Trail that a treacherous river shouldn't be crossed. Which is fair, especially when you look at how easy it was for her to view her partner as an enemy. In sum, I do think the deck was stacked against her and that her problems at work were real. However, I think most of her problems stem from people reacting to her own personality, behaviors, and attitudes. By always being on the defensive, she made her problems much, much worse.
EllaWeber (2)
I agree with your viewpoint on this - I also found her growth over the course of the book to be believable, the swings between realizing she may be aggravating or exaggerating her problems and then becoming suspicious of everyone again. I think French handled the "lightbulb" moments without them seeming unbelievable which made Antoinette an empathetic narrator even when she was infuriating.
BrittanyWoodcock (1)
I'm glad you asked this question. I thought I was just being too much like Margaret Thatcher when I thought, "Strong women don't say, they do. Toughen up, girl." Particularly, because men are extremely competitive and aggressive, and they don't like sharing things like power and accolades, but they treat everyone like that, not just women. They don't play nice. It takes a well tempered men to see beyond the testosterone, which is a driving, actual life force for them. I don't know, I think she needs to be more assertive (by action, not mouth) and toughen up.
Discuss With Us

How did Antoinette's family relationships mirror Aislinn's own family situation? How similar were they?

AnjaniHundich (2)
To me it was hard to compare their family situations. Both were without fathers yes, but Antoinette's father never cared for his family, and Antoinette never knew her father. Aislinn loved her father and he cared for his family. So even though they both were without fathers, the relationships were very different. I was disappointed that the readers never got much closure from Antoinette's meeting with her father though.
JacquleneR (7)
I agree. I don't even know why that scene was in the book, to be honest.
Vanessa (4)
I agree - though I thought perhaps it was tied to the later scene when she went to Crowley to get him to run the article about McCann having the affair. But then THAT didn't even happen.
Sooz830 (20)
The similarities are enough that they seem to affect her opinions of the victim, but really only go as far as having an absent father. I like her calls with her mom, but wish that relationship had been explored more. And the episode with her father showing up seemed to pop up and then die without much impact, other than reconnecting her with her partner. Seemed disjointed.
Discuss With Us

Is Stephen a good partner? Is there anything else he could have done to make Antoinette feel more at ease?

Sooz830 (20)
I think he really is. Any perceived shortcomings on his part were more the result of her not confiding some of her struggles with him. Whenever called upon, he rose the challenge, yet she continued to shut him out. A partnership only works if it's two ways.
The Trespassersymonebooks (7)
Detective Breslin

SPOILER-ISH CONTENT AHEAD

How did you all come away feeling about Detective Breslin? Throughout the entire investigation I just saw him as a douchebag, but the ending seemed to be showing him as someone who really just wanted to help his friend out. Whether I agree with that course of action or not, I think it was meant to show that he is not a bad person.

I still don't like him though and I feel like he will be the main character of the next book since we've been with Steve and Antoinette through 2 books now. Tana French never disappoints though, so I will leave it in her hands!

Sooz830 (20)
Douchebag all the way. His loyalty to his friend and partner would be more admirable if he wasn't willing to let other people take the fall for this friend's actions.
Elizabeth (5)
Well said!
Blueyedscientist (4)
Douchebag. His character was pretty shallow and vain during the entire story without any real moral compass.
Clmccor (53)
I agree with the other two responses. I feel he was a jerk the entire time. Even protecting his friend, I felt he went about it totally wrong.
Anna (1)
I thought he was really slimy, even at the end. Even if he was protecting his partner, it doesn't excuse his behavior
The Trespasserlaurney13 (1)
My Recommended Book

Hi there - The Trespasser is my recommended book choice, but I am reading that it is the 5th or 6th book in the author's series. Do I have to read the others to grasp the content of this novel? I have switched my Book of the month quite often, but the reviews on this have been intriguing - although most of the readers seemed to have read the books prior in the series. Please advise, thank you in advance!

Blueyedscientist (4)
I had no idea this was a series of books. I don't think you need any previous character knowledge.
Sooz830 (20)
I was concerned about that as well, but I read it and was fine with not having read the first five. Apparently, they are each told from a different character's point of view, so the characters don't each have extensive backstories.
Cindy (3)
I haven't read any of her books. I'm up to page 100 and don't feel I have missed out or am lost. Enjoy!
jds1339 (2)
I knew it was a series but decided to just plunge in, and thought that Tana French did a really good job of making it seem like an individual novel. I never felt that I wished I knew more about a character than I was getting in these pages; it all seemed clear. I just finished it, reading the last 100 pages tonight, and am very happy with it.
JadeMann (9)
I really wish I had known that you didn't need to read the previous books, I'll have to add this into my box next month. I had chosen a different book this month, because I thought it was crucial I read the series in sequential order.
MelRose (17)
Funny you mentioned this - this is the reason why I went in another direction with this month's selection! I wanted to read them in order as well.
MarisKreizman (19)
Nope, it's not necessary to read the previous books in Tana French's series--each book works really well as a stand-alone thriller. No previous information is necessary to enjoy any of them. Yes, there will be a few tiny nuggets for loyal Tana French readers that you might miss, but not enough to limit your understanding of the book or prevent you from loving it!
mypaperheart (8)
I chose this as my book without knowing it was a part of a series ... argh! I really wish they would give a warning when it's part of a series. :(
ChristalinaJohn (1)
As someone who has read all of the books in Tana French's series I highly suggest that you read them in order but it is not absolutely necessary. Being introduced to the main characters in previous novels provides some insight into their background and history but shouldn't take away from the main plot of the novel if you are unaware of it. Overall all of her books are wonderful. Hope you enjoy them!
ChristinaWhitley (1)
From my understanding of how the novels in that series are set, you do not have to read any previous to understand what is going on, although you may want to do so. The central plot is separate in each book, however (again from what I know of the series) the narrator for each book is different and is introduced in the previous book as a secondary or tertiary character. So, there are presumably character plot threads you would find interesting to know beforehand about the narrator, but I don't think it is a MUST. I have only read the first in that series (it was fantastic) and I am choosing The Trespasser as mine this month, with the intention of hanging on to it while I read the others.