Oops! The page didn’t load right. Please refresh and try again.

Get a free book when you use code SPRINGFLING.

Join today!
JordanH
Uncommon TypeJordanH (27)

I would really like to see a full length novel from him as well. Fingers crossed!

BonfireJordanH (27)

I thought these were realistic, believable characters too. Most readers can probably find a character to relate to.

Uncommon TypeJordanH (27)
Did you buy a typewriter this Black Friday?

I loved this collection. I didn't love every single story, but there was something for everyone in this book. I'm so impressed by Tom Hanks' talent. My favorite story was Christmas Eve 1953. What was your favorite?

Goodbye, VitaminJordanH (27)

I don't think these two books are all that similar. But I can see why they are compared. They were both quick reads, female leads, and have ailing family members. They were both clever and witty. Other than that they're their own story. I thought All Grown Up was darker. That was the one I preferred. Goodbye, Vitamin was fine but it didn't wow me.

Goodbye, VitaminJordanH (27)

Yes! This was the very best part. I wanted more of his journal!

The ChildJordanH (27)

A whole book could have been written on Jude, especially with the relatively little information we received. I know next to nothing about psychology but there were obviously some serious issues with her that weren't touched upon in this book. Her motivations weren't clear, and I agree with you - she fell flat as a character.

The ChildJordanH (27)

Yes, I agree there was too much fluff. I thought the stuff about Kate's son was thrown in to show that she was a mom and could relate to the other mothers but that seems like a bit of a stretch. And why is there a new young reporter when they're also doing layoffs? Then the Crime Man just sort of left the story...I am glad to know there's another book with Kate in it. Maybe reading both would have made more sense to me!

The ChildJordanH (27)
My problem with Joe (Spoilers)

I'm probably getting a little too picky here, I know. But tell me what you think.

When Joe showed up to work with Kate I couldn't figure out why he was there or a part of the story at all. He was an annoyance for me. I was one of the readers who had the ending figured out about half way through so I had hoped he would add some extra element or twist that I didn't see coming.

Instead, Joe only seemed to start to ask the right questions and then get cut off by Kate as soon as he was on the right track. I wish Kate had been a bit more clever but their interactions bothered me. I realize Joe is the one who points out that DNA can trace ancestors, but isn't that something the forensic lab or police should have figured out? He seemed like an unnecessary character. Do you agree or disagree?

The ChildJordanH (27)

I have the exact same thoughts. Way too predictable. It was compelling in that I hoped to have a different outcome and just wanted to get to the end.

Since We FellJordanH (27)

That's a really interesting guess at how the book was going to turn out. It never crossed my mind. This is one of the reasons I enjoy discussing books with other readers - always a new perspective!

StartupJordanH (27)

Agreed! The ending was abrupt. I was hoping for some sort of ending that would improve my feelings toward the book, and I didn't get that at all. (I also love your reference to being an Oregon Trail kid. It made me laugh!)

StartupJordanH (27)

I agree with your assessment of the characters. I suppose that they are so awful is part of the humor but humor that went over my head. I also thought there was quite a bit of man bashing towards the very end. The guys in the book were? pretty awful, but I thought the gals were just as bad at that point.

StartupJordanH (27)

I agree that the story seemed pointless. It took a really long time to have a plot develop, to the point where I almost felt sexual harassment was thrown in at the end once the characters became so unlikable.

StartupJordanH (27)
Not for me

I was hopeful about this book, but I really didn't enjoy it. I'm pretty sure I'm the wrong audience for it. I'm in my mid thirties, live in the Midwest, don't work in tech, and couldn't find anything to relate to in this book. I love the humor on BuzzFeed, so I thought I'd get a kick out of this. If it was a humorous book it all went over my head.

Did anyone else struggle to get through this? Anyone a similar demographic to me that really loved it?

The Impossible FortressJordanH (27)

Good idea! I hadn't thought of it as being made into a movie, but I think it would work. There's plenty of adventure and love story to make a good show!

The Impossible FortressJordanH (27)

I have a 12 year-old son who reads a lot. He's a gamer and I thought he may enjoy this. (He loves Ready Player One.) After reading it I have serious doubts about passing it on to him. I'm happy to know I wasn't the only one to feel this way.

The language, I know, he hears at school. There is a lot of talk about sex in this book that gives me pause. I don't want to censor his reading, but I don't want to push certain things on him too soon. I also don't want to pretend he doesn't/won't know about sex/bad language/theft/etc.

When can a parent or teacher decide a book about young people is appropriate/inappropriate for a young reader?

MarlenaJordanH (27)
I liked it, but...

I enjoyed this book, but I wasn't blown away. After reading it I had the feeling that something from the story was missing...Like maybe a chapter or two was torn out before I could finish reading! This could have been a really good suspense or thriller book, or maybe the story would have been better told as an essay. This book just seemed slightly incomplete.

However, I think I can forgive all that. The part I enjoyed most was how honest and realistic this story was. I believed these characters were real, flaws and all. They were so selfish, just as a fifteen year-old or a drug addict is in real life. Did anyone else feel this way?

This isn't a five star book, in my opinion, but it was one I'm glad I read.

MarlenaJordanH (27)

I think part of the appeal of this book was the realistic characters. I would guess a lot of readers know or have known someone that is very much like Cat or Marlena.

MarlenaJordanH (27)

I agree. I expected Cat to reveal all that she knew to Sal. I thought it would give them both some closure. Maybe the life Marlena lead doesn't leave room for closure or answers for those left behind. I think this way the author has given me a better idea of what Cat, Sal, and others experienced by not receiving the closure that's so desired. I have the feeling of wanting to know a little more which I think Sal and Cat feel at the end. Still! I was hoping for a big reveal, confession, a bang, something! at the end of the book. I feel like it just sort of fizzled out.

Behind Her EyesJordanH (27)

I had about a dozen different theories about how it would end while I was reading. The split personality is not one I came up with. Enjoy the ending!

I think very few of us had any idea about how this would end! I was wondering who else hated Louise because of her affair. I almost always dislike characters who are cheating on spouses. Maybe that's unfair, but that's just how I feel about knowingly cheating on a spouse or being the other woman or man. If it weren't for that I think Louise and David could be likeable. I really wanted to like David, but I think I mostly felt sorry for him and his miserable marriage. I was also really put off by the two of them marrying so quickly.

Adam is a lingering bit of the story. I really think there could be a sequel to see what happens to Adam and Ian with their "new" mom and ex-wife.

I also agree! I didn't figure out the ending like you did (maybe because .001% of the books I read are supernatural, and I couldn't even fathom the ending to be what it was), but I could still see the hints being laid out. I thought some (a lot) of it was shoved at the reader. I didn't flip back through while I was reading, but I think a reread would almost be like reading a different book.

I also keep finding myself thinking about the end of this book. It wasn't what I was expecting. I almost want to reread it right away so I can see where all the hints were dropped. I'm pretty sure it'd be a different book for me the second time through. I didn't quite catch the significance of the room's three stripes either. I would be interested to hear if anyone else knows!