Oops! The page didn’t load right. Please refresh and try again.

Get a free book when you use code SPRINGFLING.

Join today!
PurpleHippoMama
Heat & LightPurpleHippoMama (6)

Interesting -- and appalling!

Heat & LightPurpleHippoMama (6)

I really enjoy novels that explore contemporary issues. Reading such novels help me see both sides of the issues in a very human way.

Before the FallPurpleHippoMama (6)

I agree! Thanks for pointing that out. Maybe her character is trivialized in order to throw us off the trail of who was guilty?

The MothersPurpleHippoMama (6)

I think she wanted to minimize the importance of the relationship in order to make herself feel better about it ending. She probably also did not think that Aubrey and Luke would ever become that serious with one another.

The novel focuses on mothers and women. Even though she committed suicide, Nadia's mother is an important character. Aubrey and Nadia both seem to be betrayed by the men in their lives, as well as their mothers, but the story focuses on the relationships the girls build with one another - and other women.

I think she did that very well. Honestly, there were times when I had to remind myself that Nadia was black. I am also a white female, so I cannot speak to what it is like to be a member of the black community. However, while there are differences, there are also similarities and maybe that is what the author was trying to highlight.