Oops! The page didn’t load right. Please refresh and try again.

Get a free book when you use code FRESHSTART.

Join today!
soundslikeliar
The Silent Patientsoundslikeliar (18)
Pretty Good Except...

I found this to be a fast, entertaining read. The flow is great and I sped through it. However I had one big issue (spoilers ahead): the twist. I didn't expect it, which was good. But the reason I didn't expect it is because we're inside Theo's head the whole time. There's a pretty standard rule of first person narration where you can't keep secrets from your reader when you're inside a character's head; it doesn't make sense. Obviously he'd be thinking "oh yeah I'm here cus I'm her stalker". By simply changing the narration to third, this issue could have been avoided & I'd have liked it more

No Exitsoundslikeliar (18)

I really liked this book but I agree it was way more gruesome than I was expecting, especially Sandi's death (especially since I have a bone-breaking phobia, yuck). I think the problem is that it was labeled as a thriller but really, this is a horror novel. That gave us some unrealistic expectations going in because it turned out to be less mystery, more slasher.

No Exitsoundslikeliar (18)
Great, but description needs work

The good news is that I really enjoyed this book. It was a complete page turner; I finished it within 6 hours. I loved Darby, I thought the setting was cool and original, and in general I just find books with sociopaths very interesting. However, I agree with others that the marketing needs work. This was presented as a thriller/mystery but it's more of a "final-girl-horror-movie" type scenario: violent, intense, and dark. Like a Criminal Minds episode. There wasn't much in the way of twists - the bad guys are obvious right off the bat. I liked it a lot but it's not what it proclaimed to be.

An Absolutely Remarkable Thingsoundslikeliar (18)
More Sci-Fi Please

I enjoyed this. It was fast, and an interesting unique take on an alien "invasion". I liked April, and I fully grasped the concept that she is actually supposed to be unlikable. She is a great embodiment of almost everyone trying to find themselves in their early 20s, especially in the age where social media is so prominent. Unlike others, I liked the ending: didn't wrap things up neatly and left it open to interpretation. That said, I'd love to see a sequel. My only issue is that a cis straight male is writing from the perspective of a bisexual woman, but it was handled respectfully enough.

The Lies We Toldsoundslikeliar (18)
Quick Read

This was an entertaining, fast read. I think both narratives separately would have been sort of bland, but put together they worked well. I'll admit that none of the twists had me particularly shocked - the connection between the two families and time periods seemed obvious. But it was written in a very engrossing way, making it hard to put down, which is what you want in a thriller. That being said, I did not like the ending and how it was obviously setting up a sequel; it wasn't necessary. I think it could have been more satisfactorily wrapped up without that, while still being open-ended.

The Silence of the Girlssoundslikeliar (18)
Felt a Bit Lacking

After reading Circe, I was excited to read another Greek myth story but this fell a bit flat for me. I liked Briseis a lot but I also felt like not much actually happened in this novel, despite the fact that they were in a war. There was a great deal of potential there, but IMO, Miller is hands-down the better writer. Also, was anyone else bothered by the dialogue? It was like they were all super British actors pretending to be Trojan/Greek. It really distracted from the story because there were a lot of colloquialisms and phrases that were definitely out of place for the time period.

#FashionVictimsoundslikeliar (18)
This is Satire

I found this book a fun, entertaining read. It was like "Heathers" meets "Devil Wears Prada" meets "Ingrid Goes West". This book is not meant to be taken extremely seriously. As the author is someone who worked in the fashion industry for a while, its intention seems to be to poke fun at that high stakes world, while narrating through the eyes of a very psychotic girl. All of the characters are narcissistic, vaguely insane, and darkly comedic. Just because none of them were likable doesn't mean I didn't enjoy their antics -it sorta reminded me of "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" in that way

Sweet Little Liessoundslikeliar (18)

Agreed. I usually speed through books but this was hard to finish. The plot was dull, I found the resolution to be obvious, and I really didn't like Cat, which is problematic since she is the main character. To me, it sort of read like a really, really long and dull Law and Order episode.

Ghostedsoundslikeliar (18)
Pleasantly surprised

Spoilers ahead. I don't usually go for these types of books at all, but the description struck a chord with me since I am going through something similar. I ended up being pleasantly surprised by the strength of this book. I predicted part of the twist but I did not realize who was writing the letters so well done on that. I also found it obvious that Sarah didn't really die when they switched the POV over to Eddie. But overall it was a sweet, heartfelt tale. And although the cynic in me was grumbling a little at the picture-perfect happy ending, I still liked it quite a bit.

Our Kind of Crueltysoundslikeliar (18)

Yes, I was totally waiting for a twist at the end that would indicate V was in on the game or something and I felt a little letdown that there was a build up that didn't really lead to anything, but I felt bad for V and totally understood the point the author was trying to make about injustice to women (especially sexually confident ones). Having Mike be an obsessed sociopath though made it a super entertaining and creepy read.

The Woman in the Windowsoundslikeliar (18)

She was talking about two different people. The neighbor whose fb page and wedding registry she looked at was from the newlywed Mott couple who used to live there. Then they became "un-wed" and moved. Now the Millers live there and the Miller wife is the one the protag can't find any information online about so she can only guess at her name.

I'm pretty sure they say at one point that Anna's parents died (they both were sick I seem to remember) so she really didn't have a family besides Ed and Olivia. And she mentions that after she leaves the hospital and has the funeral for her husband and daughter, she realizes all the friends she thought she had were really Ed's friends and that after he died they kinda melted away. She also explains she didn't have any work friends either because Dr Brill's practice was just the two of them.

Predictable but enjoyable

Spoilers ahead...

Unlike some reviewers, I actually really enjoyed this book. I thought it was well-written and very engaging. I sped through it and found it to be a fast and entertaining read. While I did find it extremely predictable, I thought that had to do with several factors: One, the reveal that Anna's family had died was by far the easiest twist to call (almost from jump), although I wonder if I was primed for this by reading one of the books from last month, which had almost the exact same twist done in the exact same way. It also became very obvious to me that Ethan was not the perfect angel Anna thought he was and I had very strong suspicions that he was the real killer. My suspicions were confirmed once Punch was limping around - psychopaths start hurting animals when they're young as Anna remarks. Like other readers, I also knew GrannyLizzie was going to be involved somehow because otherwise her inclusion in the story would have been pretty useless.

But despite how predictable the plot was, I still very much enjoyed the actual reading of the book. I liked how it had ties to Rear Window without it totally copying it. I feel like this book did what The Chalk Man tried and failed to do - TCM was so focused on emulating Stephen King that it ended up being a cheap imitation that fell flat for me, but TWITW was able to draw inspiration from Hitchcock without feeling like it was desperately copying him.

I also feel like mental illness was handled better here than in some other thrillers I've read recently. As someone who actually suffers from anxiety and panic attacks, I found the descriptions of Anna's agoraphobia and anxiety to be pretty accurate. I do think that the Woman Who Drinks Too Much trope is overdone now though and I think the book could have easily done the "unreliable narrator" thing without it. Especially because having extreme anxiety can sometimes effect things like perception and memory. Just having Anna mixing pills and being agoraphobic would have been realistic enough; the drinking issue feels very worn-out at this point.

This book wasn't perfect but it was definitely a fun read and I've heard they're turning it into a movie. It was written very cinematically - I'm sure this was the author's intention. I'd be curious to see the cast. I could see an Anna Paquin or Brie Larson-type playing the lead.

The Chalk Mansoundslikeliar (18)

I agree, and like most readers, I found the blatant copying of King annoying - I mean, Halloran? She literally lifted a name from one of his most famous books. I also got the IT vibes and I found all the reveals pretty underwhelming. I also found Nicky problematic; I would have liked to see more fleshed out/stronger female characters. It sort of felt like the author wanted to combine all these different plot devices and characters and mental diseases and what we ended up with was a stereotypical mish-mash of clutter. I didn't connect with or like any of the characters and while it was a fast, interesting read, ultimately I found it very lacking.

Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Finesoundslikeliar (18)
Wow

This is not the kind of book I would normally read. It's not the genre or feel I generally go for. (Especially because every single one of the December BOTM choices sounded so good that I got extras.) But something told me to give EOICF a chance and I am SO glad I did. I loved this book. Absolutely loved it. It was funny, sad, beautiful, and relatable. Eleanor is probably one of my favorite book characters despite her quirks and off-putting manner, and this book might have been the best book I've read this year.

SPOILERS ahead: I chuckled at parts, I cried when she got the cat and found a reason to live, and I gasped when it was revealed her mother had been dead the entire time. Parts of this book were written slightly like a thriller - I found it obvious that Eleanor had a younger sister who died in a fire and that her mother was abusing them early on, but I think the author actually meant to make that sort of obvious so you would be less likely to realize the true twist, which was that "Mummy" was in Eleanor's head for years and years after her death.

I really enjoyed that they left Raymond and Eleanor's relationship open-ended. There was a possibility of romance but you could also view the ending of them simply being very good friends. I think it would have felt rushed and a bit strange if the author had them kiss or something at the end because that's not how either of the characters operate.

Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised that I ended up loving this book so much. Highly recommend.

The Wife Between Ussoundslikeliar (18)
Meh

Spoilers ahoy.

Normally I find books like this entertaining (albeit fleeting; they're all the same after a while) but I had trouble with The Wife Between Us. The first plot twist - looking back - should have been obvious but when it was revealed I found it to be so poorly done that I spent the next 3 pages in confusion wondering why a thriller suddenly turned into a weird time-traveling book. When it clicked that Vanessa was Nellie, I was annoyed because I felt the "reveal" was done in a very odd and disjointed way. I get that it was supposed to be disconcerting but the writing just made it fall flat for me.

I also felt a little misled with Nellie/Vanessa's reaction regarding Maggie's death - it really seemed like the book was setting up a "twist" where Vanessa was sexually assaulted. (Which I wouldn't have liked either but still, her PTSD and paranoia and issues with intimacy would have made more sense.) As it was, we didn't know anything about Maggie, we got about four sentences describing her, and thus didn't really care when she died, making that reveal lack any oomph.

And as someone else already mentioned, I feel like all of this has been done before and I don't think it was really handled any differently than any other abusive spouse thriller-type book. The jacket told us that nothing would be what we thought it would be but it was pretty obvious from jump that Richard was abusive sooo...I don't know, this was a bit of a disappointment to me.

Also Maureen....what the hell was that ending with her? Are we to assume some kind of creepy incestuous thing is going on??

The Blindssoundslikeliar (18)
Sequel?

I really freakin' enjoyed this book. I thought the ending was great and the characters (even though there was a million of them) were well thought out. I loved the moral ambiguity too - we know these people were the worst of the worst and did horrible things but the author made it really hard to hate them (with the exception of a few, ahem, Dietrich). I think it says a lot about ethics and how not everything is black and white.

I do wonder if he's setting up for a sequel though. There were definitely things left open-ended that could indicate that. I liked how everything was wrapped up fairly neatly but I think I would be on board for a sequel too. Anyone agree?

The Blindssoundslikeliar (18)

I'm not from Texas so I can't comment on the rage you seem to feel regarding the location haha but I sort of thought that the location was the least important part of the story. The point of the Blinds was that it was isolated. The third least populated area in the US. I didn't think there was that much in there that actually pertained much to Texas. To me it was more character driven than anything else.

SPOILERS: As for Robinson dying - I agree it was disappointing but I kind of understand why it was done. Robinson knew that the town wouldn't band together unless the agents shot someone in that moment and he decided to sacrifice himself so that Fran wouldn't be the one shot (so she could take care of her kid). It was also momentous because he was the only truly innocent person there (besides Dawes who couldn't do anything at that point because she had also been shot). So his death really rallied the town to fight back despite their pasts.