Oops! The page didn’t load right. Please refresh and try again.

Get a free book when you use code SPRINGFLING.

Join today!
Meran
The Girl with the Lower Back TattooMeran (40)

I'm white but grew up with POC, documented and not, and have worked right alongside these lovely, giving people (after all, my face is still ~white, the color of oppression). It very much angered me. I think your assessment is spot on! They would have helped her more but her own behavior meant they'd get blamed for her running, her fear. They'd have been arrested first, questioned later.

Honestly, I'm halfway through this book, forcing myself to read it, ~because she had all that anti-gun stuff in it. I haven't come to the part about any shooting, nothing interesting at all. I'm finding her whining interminable, her white privileged exhausting. So she's worked hard at being a woman comic. Heck, just being a woman in this world is hard.... I'd like to know if she's ever had dirt under her fingernails, and apart from comics, has she ever noticed how rough the POC in the U.S. really have it?

This sounds harsh I know... But I think Ms Amy has still a long way to grow to grow UP. She's a subtle racist.

And it truly bugged me the way she'd say "I'm not one of those girls who sleeps around", then 2 pages later, describe exactly how she did sleep around. There's more than one example of this. And her lists...! She's not judgmental, then she is....

Maybe she's just a bad writer and didn't say what she truly meant; it's hard to say. But the book was too loosely edited (if at all... I keep notes as I read. She had FAR too many simple errors. -I don't count style or conversation as errors, btw.)

So, no, Bexterefe, I don't think you missed anything. Those men would have gladly kept her safe, if she'd have allowed it. Maybe even driven her to the cop shop.

The Girl with the Lower Back TattooMeran (40)

I don't have anything like ADD, and I can't say you're wrong about any of your post. Honestly, I was finding myself going to sleep while reading it (the book actually hit the floor twice ????) so I found a few more interesting books to read. I'll read it more once my insomnia comes back.

And I really hate to say all that. I love Amy, at least Speaking Amy. Maybe she should have dictated the book, and left any major book structure (and heavy editing) out of it?

The Woman in Cabin 10Meran (40)

It bothered me that, here she was, a journalist, there to interview people for the story they all knew she should be writing, and never did.

She had a ~perfect reason to interview each of them, extensively, and she's running around like a scared teenager who's been watching far too many Summer Movies. It was far overplayed. And she didn't ever use her perfect edge.

I agree with everything you've said. I've not posted my review yet, but I finished at least a week ago. I kept questioning whether I should even bother, but I hate not ending a book. ???? I only gave it 2 stars. Did you notice how the writing smoothed out, felt properly edited, around page 210?

Dark MatterMeran (40)

I felt the same, but thought I'd try Cabin.. I put a "regretful purchase" tag on it in Goodreads. I really prefer fining higher points, but just could not for this one. Soooo many errors too. (I don't subtract a point when it's in speech (unless it would sound the same), nor in first person style,

I very much agree. I had to force my way through. The much better prose, eventually, gave me a small reward, and the author one extra star. She didn't get many though.

It's tricky to write by formula. The author must change the rules when doing that. ????

Dark MatterMeran (40)

I actually got them both. I read the lightest appearing topic first: Woman in Cabin 10, saving the Dark Matter book for "dessert".

I regret getting Woman. (I've not written my review yet, but I gave it 2 stars)

And strangely, since I read that one first, I'm finding similarities between the two! Though DM is much better written IMHO.

Sleeping GiantsMeran (40)

I just read the author interview where he addresses this technique.

It was so the reader could make his/her own story up around the characters.

So, you see, we each have a different version of the book in our heads, by intention.

Tricksy author!

After finishing the book and ruminating a bit, I do think she's a clone. After all, there's a rude geneticist involved. Now, HOW they got her memories, that's some real alien tech, isn't it? ????

It looks as if the "update" was some time ago, only a few years... But it means her "once in a generation mind" is still available.

And I found no evidence, not even a hint, of time travel.

Where'd that idea come from?

Many crimes have been committed in the name of "the Common Good", sadly...

There was another movie trailer at ComicCon that had the same legs! I'd thought we were going to see the movie trailer when I saw that ???? and no, it wasn't it, nor do I remember the movie now.

But I remember those legs ....

Meran (40)
They didn't even know what the entire makeup of the metal was. And any modifications could throw out the foreign engineering. I don't see that as a viable option, ever.

I'm so surprised I've not seen THIS question asked yet...

Remember HIW they found and pulled up all the pieces?

Then WHAT HAPPENED to bring up that very first piece? ???? Was it the atom bomb? ALL the atomic testing?

Discuss that one!

I didn't have any problem like that at all! Personally, I often tell stories of my past to help illustrate the topic of conversation from my or different POV.

That would give us an "out" on all the deaths. Maybe too nice?

I'm definitely with you, on every comment, BJOHNS86!

There was going to have to be some body modification to work the machinery.... I wondered how the author would come up with ~that. He took the decision away from the character in an excellent manner, not even knowing he was feeding right into the Questioner's agenga.

Again, like I said in a previous post, this kind of writing intentionally puts a distance between the readers and characters. It's hard to be sympathetic thru a question and answer session.

No one has mentioned the missing files. Did anyone wonder what was in those? THAT'S what I'd like to see!

Meran (40)
So, in cases of a series, will the other two be offered here? (Please please) I like my book sets to match! And love these covers.

I believe the Easter Island mystery has been explained.

Yet, I too, believe. Though so, so long ago. And they left. They're somewhere else, paying attention to a new and rising intelligent species. They're The Ancients, in my mind. Really, who can know for sure?

Maybe the book is as much about him and his motives as about the Giants themselves. Maybe he's a collaborator ???? Maybe he's from the X-Files Dept. lol

I think one of the reasons to use this format (interviews) was to keep us at a distance, purposely.

The occasional personal logs show us deeper into the characters, but there aren't enough, in ?Book 1 anyway.

That could change ??

No idea. I haven't seen an excerpt. But it's interesting that the Questioner is not identified in book 1. I'm guessing the format will be the same, mainly for that reason.

I'm still reading (and loving this story). I'll try to be mindful of your question, look for your answer.

I didn't find a clear answer but I fully believe that she just outranked (or had the full backing of someone who did) everyone and had the Special Compensation Permission from those controlling the project funding.

After all, she's been doing some heavy genetic testing and doesn't believe she even needs the two "chosen" pilots.

I imagine more of these questions will be answered, or explained, in the next book. (Which I can't wait for)

Heat & LightMeran (40)

Is there a reason my posts aren't coming up? I've posted three times on this book, yet they aren't shown here. I'm trusting this one will come thru ????

When Breath Becomes AirMeran (40)

I agree entirely with your assessment!

A Mother's ReckoningMeran (40)

I agree, but need to point out that the author built these out of her journals, records of her feelings at the time, just adding to it, her present feelings about all of it.

She does build too slowly and comes across as desperate for people to believe her.

However, I was closer to the mess, working at a business in the area, watching the lockdowns and panic spread. She's really writing to the locals.

And believe me, repetition is important, for them.

She certainly had her lawyer go over the book, as well. Sadly, I agree with that decision.

Personally, I don't believe she should be held responsible for any of it. Children make bad decisions all the time, rarely getting the parents into the discussion. And many times, deliberately misleading them, as her son did.

I liked the book because now I know how the shooters' families were treated--not well, not with respect...

The ProfiteersMeran (40)

In 1984, I became part of the workforce at Plant Vogtle in Georgia. My husband had worked previously at the Diablo Canyon facility. So that's two places that Bechtel could be found, usually at the highest levels. (they had contracting companies do the dirty work) ;) I also worked at two other sites over the next 20 yrs.

I bought 3 books this month, and have saved this one for last, to see what was going on behind the scenes at those places. Almost like dessert :D

The Moor's AccountMeran (40)

I also liked the mixture of foreign words in the story. Lends a taste of realism, and certainly opens up the world to us!

The Moor's AccountMeran (40)

Mustafa's choices are old ones, the kind that were made actually quite often in that part of history.

Making judgements using our modern culture minds isn't fair. Slavery, or indenture was very common, and was used to even move to America, in our lifetimes. Other cultures are, many times, SO different from ours, we really can't grok it properly.

We just know that this method was very common, in order to provide for families. Even for a short time. Sometimes that is all that was needed, providing that Providence would bring rain for the crops by the next season. Living during those times, in those cultures, and even some nowadays, is crop to crop, paycheck to paycheck.

Anyone ever read de Maupassant? His work is FULL of this kind of decision.

A Thousand Naked StrangersMeran (40)

I agree with many of these assessments. I was also surprised at how little education they are given. Honestly, I probably, self taught, have at least as much education. I just don't have the OJT tool usage.

Even so, I'll never look at the Rescue guys the same way again.

I have found the local rescue response guys to be rather rude. I tried to help them turn around the fire truck which came with the ambulance in my driveway, which is concrete, instead of my field (which is MUD .. we're in Oregon). The man was nice and said he'd tell his superior.

They're still turning around in my field.

I liked the book. (it was a bad reading month for me… new puppy because of a death in my extended family and a fall on remodeling equipment for me, took reading time away from me. This wasn't my major book.) Even so, I gave it 4.5 stars.

It was a good memoir of a time period in the writer's life. A very unusual, honest, simply written (not meant badly) book.

The Magician's LieMeran (40)
I\'m done with this one.

Here's my review:

I gave 3.5 stars.

The story begins in Iowa in July 1905-- A Lady magician, "The Amazing Arden", tells of her routine; she's oppressed, "tortured" and will use a magic trick to end her torturer's life, escape her torment.

Later, after the show, after the deed is done, and after she's been accidentally captured by a policeman (Officer Holt, from a different town, who was at the show), she is encouraged to tell her story to that same cop.

It's a good beginning, intriguing, just informative enough to pique a Reader's interest.

Born "Ada" in 1880, on "the wrong side of the sheets", Arden grew up in the house with her mother, a cellist, and her maternal grandparents, no father in sight.

This is truly a conversation between an Unreliable Narrator and the cop, who holds her life in his hands. So the book becomes their conversation; her attempt to win him over is countered by his mistrust of her, after all. (She does illusions for a living, sleight-of-hand, misdirection, etc.)

The entertainment, other than the apparent Story of Her Life, is in reading their volleys, back and forth, of the Game of Control they are now engaged in.

This is a story of Women, when there were. At the Mercy of the World, Remember, women usually couldn't own property, unless cosigned by a male relative, couldn't vote, etc.

Ada, by her standards, is a fool. I agree that Young Ada trusts people when she should not -- But she's introspective. That's a good thing.

Well written, not overly wordy, and easy to read.

Warning: on pg 200, there's an obligatory sex scene). Also, Sadism, and Masochism abounds. Injuries to girls and animals, horses and puppies are mentioned specifically.

Ghettoside Meran (40)
I\'ve Finished!

Here's my review:

I gave this SIX stars. I do believe it'll win book awards and maybe even the Pulitzer.

WARNING: the N word is used many, many times. It's appropriate in the book, as it's used. It's still disturbing.
And I admit, it bothers me when I hear descriptions like "man" which means white or caucasian males but when a black person is introduced it's "dark skinned" or "black man". To be fair, the white man, LA Police Det. John Skaggs is VERY white, with pale hair and his presence in Watts, a black neighborhood is very jarring, for those white citizens and in the writing of this book, an important contrast. And this is a real story, non-fiction, about racial issues; in this case, "a plague of murders among black men." Note this fact: 6% of the population is Black, yet they are 40% of those murdered.

Taking place in South LA County in the "midst of an unexceptional violence in the traditionally black neighborhoods", the writer tells the story of not only the victims but of those who found the bodies and try to solve the senseless killing, the cops and detectives.

The writer, a reporter, brings all the facts together for us, the Readers, illuminating the times of the culture, the events, the emotions of those who lost so much, and the attitudes of many of those people involved. She does this without showing her own feelings, leaving herself out of it. She doesn't tell us how to feel either. But anyone who has children, or lives in similarly troubled areas of the country, couldn't help but feel sympathetic for the victims and their families.

Well written, easy to read, not tending towards sensationalism, I believe this to be an important book. I hope it becomes part of a class curriculum somewhere. The more light shed on this great social problem, the better. A patient (us, our society) cannot heal until the disease ("a plague of murders, among black men") is acknowledged.

And yet, reading of these murders, and the ~scale of them was difficult for me. This problem is a cancer of our society; it must be cut out, must not be accepted, must not be written off as just "something black men do to each other." People have hardened themselves to not care about such things, to move past that article in the news. It's at the very least our moral responsibility to acknowledge the LOSS of these lives, regardless of our skiing color or where we live.

She writes a lot about the LAPD too. Their attitudes, problems, and social structure are as scrutinized as the murders.

Personally, having grown up in an earlier era (50s and 60s) but in similar circumstances, I can tell you that the "problem" isn't simply one of race -- its also one of economic and social dissonance. It's SO much more complicated than that!! The loss is extreme. And our society will feel this horrible loss, and a personal level. Having lost one brother to violence and the other to heroin, I know ~exactly how the folks in this book fee, how hard it is "to just cope after such violence".

As Mr Skaggs said "You and I are going to be serious and honest."

On pg 155, there are possible reasons behind the black on black violence. Also, on pg 158, read beginning with "for white people", for more in depth information.

Bohemian GospelMeran (40)

I chose a different book to read (which I highly recommend, btw), but would love to join this thread on symbolism...

My dreams have always had rivers in them, though mine are always about the Stream of Life. It never renews, but instead carries those in it, onwards to the future.

Picture Time as a River... This symbology has been used forever in literature. (Though The River has been in my dreams since I ~had dreams).

Ghettoside Meran (40)
Ghettoside

I'm greatly enjoying this book!
It brings up race by looking at the problems of "a plague of murders among black men" straight on. At first, I was a little worried about overt racism, to be honest...
But the writing is clear and easy to read, though the subject matter is difficult.
This is a very real problem in our country; it's not going away anytime soon. How our governments and cop shops handle the problem is very important.

I would love to see this book get a Pulizter, and/or be taught in colleges everywhere. I think the writer brings compassion to the lives of the families of the murdered black men.

Thanks, David Sedaris, for recommending this book.

I'll post my review here when I've finished.