Oops! The page didn’t load right. Please refresh and try again.

Get your first book for just $5 when you sign up today with code NICE2MEETU.

Join today!
Becky
The Dinner ListBecky (31)

I loved this book, but I agree that a "meh" rating choice would be amazing! So many "meh's" on my shelf that I feel a thumbs up is too nice, but a thumbs down is too harsh.

An Anonymous GirlBecky (31)

Ohh - I got the same selections this month. :)

An Anonymous GirlBecky (31)

I agree that this isn't the best place to post concerns. I can't speak for all members, but I use the message boards because I love this service. If you want to complain or need help there is a contact us link at the bottom of the webpage. I've personally had great luck with customer service whenever I've had any concerns.

A Ladder to the SkyBecky (31)

"Fascinatingly Psychotic" is the perfect description of this book. I agree with your thoughts. I absolutely loved this book!

For Better and WorseBecky (31)

I also felt like the author didn't build up enough of an emotional response from the characters to show that they would commit homicide. It all felt a little flat.

For Better and WorseBecky (31)
Meh

Great concept, but unlikable characters and unbelievable ending.

No ExitBecky (31)
A Little Bit of a Letdown...

I had high expectations based off of the book club description. It was a fast, tense, page turner for sure. I read it in one day. However; I could have done without the fart dialogue, animal cruelty and contradictory statements. It was a good read, but not as exceptional as I was hoping for!

The Mermaid and Mrs. HancockBecky (31)

I loved this book until the last 10 pages. The mermaid evaporating doesn't make sense to me. Still a really good read overall.

Our Kind of CrueltyBecky (31)

I didn't even think about scenario A, but I like that theory.

The Girl Who Smiled BeadsBecky (31)

I ordered Circe and Our Kind of Cruelty. I am anxiously awaiting their arrival. I'm thinking about adding The Girl Who Smiled Beads to my next month's order. It sounds really good.

The Heart's Invisible FuriesBecky (31)

I agree. This is one of the best books I've read as well and I'm sad to say that I would have never picked it up if it had not been voted BOTY.

The Music ShopBecky (31)

I agree! I loved this book as well & felt like it was a perfect uplifting read for the winter months! :)

The Wife Between UsBecky (31)
Meh.

I guessed the the first big twist of the book by the end of the first two chapters which ruined the whole first half of the book for me because I felt irritated waiting for the "surprise" to finally be revealed. The second half was more enjoyable, but a little far fetched.

The Last Equation of Isaac SeveryBecky (31)
Enjoyable

I enjoyed this book immensely. Rich, genius filled family. Check. Scandal. Check. Murders. Check. Complicated relationships. Check. Hidden secrets. Check. I felt like I was reading a delicious gossip column that I didn't want to put down. The only thing that felt a bit off for me was the intimate, romantic, family relationships. It seemed to take away from the rest of the twisty plots.

The Astonishing Color of AfterBecky (31)
Beautiful Book

I enjoyed this book, but the use of colors to describe every emotion was a bit aggravating. The flashbacks/seeing into the past, exploring relationships and coping with such a tragic loss were all beautifully described. I loved the touch of magical realism and I was crying by the end of the book, thankful for my own mother, and calling to say "I love you."

Not That I Could TellBecky (31)

I finished it. It didn't get better for me....only worse as the book dragged on.

Not That I Could TellBecky (31)

I read it all the way through because I'm a sucker for punishment. I didn't care for any of this book and ended up wishing the majority of the characters dead to add a little excitement (which I'm not sure was want the author wanted). I'd suggest to skip the rest and move on to something more enjoyable.

Beasts of Extraordinary CircumstanceBecky (31)
Magical

I loved this book and did not want to leave the world of Weylyn, Mary and Merlin. I feel like I've been sprinkled with firefly dust. "I wasn't doing magic, but I was in it, surrounded on all sides by incredible, beautiful things."

Little Fires EverywhereBecky (31)
Meh.

The more I think about this book, the less I like it. The author is definitely talented. However; I really hated the characters and felt like much of the plot didn't feel natural, but forced.

Sleeping BeautiesBecky (31)
Are you circumcised?

I'm still chuckling to myself. My first Stephen King/Owen King read and I really enjoyed it.

Final GirlsBecky (31)

I suspected Coop briefly at the beginning of the book too, but I also had suspicions about just about everyone else as I read further along. My strongest theory was that Quincy killed everyone in the woods in a blackout of rage!

Behind Her EyesBecky (31)

I didn't think of "Being John Malkovich", but I can see how you would. One of my favorite movies! :)

I felt like they showed the connection by explaining David's patient's behavior. He had an obsessive disorder and once he gave up heroin was obsessed with David... and then Adele once she answered the door pretending to be abused. I think that it's ironic that David was able to see that behavior in his patient and it turns out that his "wife" has the same obsessive tendencies. Rob was first obsessed with Adele and then turned his fixation towards David. :)

I enjoyed the ending, but agree that I wished I knew in advance that it was a supernatural thriller. I had some difficulty accepting the lucid dreams as a part of the plot line at first. I thought I was overly clever when I guessed a piece of the plot twist. However; the final "Rob" chapter took me by surprise which I appreciated!

Dead LettersBecky (31)

I can't make up my mind about whether I liked or disliked this book. I gave it a thumb's up on my bookshelf, but that feels a little too nice (we need a hand hovering and making a so-so motion - haha). I felt like the story moved slowly and I whole hardheartedly agree about the scavenger hunt and things happening haphazardly. I also felt like the author was trying too hard with the character development. The characters didn't feel real to me and I didn't connect with most of them, especially Wyatt, who was written as the "good guy". Um - good guys shouldn't cheat on the woman they love or have threesomes with her and her sister! I found one part of the ending predictable (Zelda), but did not have a clue about Ava and Zelda's mother's diagnosis which was a twist that I actually loved. I also enjoyed how the author described Ava and Zelda's relationship and how Ava desperately missed Zelda even though she was so angry with her (and rightfully so)!

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn HugoBecky (31)

I actually loved the ending. I wasn't expecting it and felt an "a ha" moment when I finally put two and two together as to why Evelyn loved Monique's assisted suicide piece. It felt natural for Evelyn's character. I did desperately want Monique to go back or call for help once she figured out what Evelyn's plan was though.

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn HugoBecky (31)
Loved!

I chose "The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo" for my BOTM because I wanted a trashy, drama-filled, read. I got so much more than what I was expecting with this book! While there was indeed scandal (and lots of it!), there was also a beautiful story about love and about what people are willing to do for love. It was also a story about regret, heartache and loss. The characters were imperfect and a good reminder that no one is fully good or bad. We all fall somewhere in between. I found myself cheering for the characters and hoping for their happiness all throughout this book and then I experienced heartbreak and sadness right along with them. What I think I loved the most about this book is that it never felt like the author was trying too hard. The characters felt real to me and I thought the story was woven together beautifully. This may be my favorite love story ever! On another note - I kept imagining Harry as Stanley Tucci.... anyone else?

Since We FellBecky (31)

Hahaha! I must admit that fear of attracting bears has never been a concern of mine... ever! :)

Killers of the Flower MoonBecky (31)
Fantastic!

I'm usually not a non-fiction reader, but I have to say that this is one of the best books that I have ever read. I felt so many emotions while reading this book and felt like it gave a voice to the history of the Osage (which I knew nothing about) and all of the cruelty that they had to endure over the years and that they are still enduring today since many of the suspicious Osage deaths were were never investigated and just pushed aside leaving families without a sense of closure.

Since We FellBecky (31)

I was expecting that paragraph to be a clue that Rachel was suffering from psychosis and figured that in the end of the book she would have figured out that she actually killed her husband, husband's friend and husband's "other wife" due to paranoia from her panic disorder and trauma history. I thought perhaps that she was imagining an alternative story to cope with their deaths and to bring her husband back to life in her mind to a world that he didn't cheat on her and still loved her.